Monday, May 14, 2018

Love Letter to Eclipse

I'm sharing a short essay in the form a love letter about the eclipse. By the way, I'll be heading to Texas for another affair with Eclipse April 8, 2024.
Dear Eclipse,
Your reputation filled me with intrigue. I waited anxiously to meet you. Planning for your arrival became my passion. I needed everything to be perfect for you.
Months before your appearance, I hiked hills and valleys to discover the most glorious view of your arrival. I carefully selected a lush hilltop where I laid waiting for you. From there, I faced the direction you came to seduce me. Over the centuries, many had fallen in love with your loveliness. I was your newest lover, but most affectionate.
I learned that you were never late, in fact, the most punctual lover I had ever anticipated. I marked my calendar. I was ready and waiting for you on August 1, 2017 at 11:30 a.m. I wore a tee-shirt with your name on it.
The day finally arrived when we would meet. How did I respond as you entered my life? I was speechless. I softly gazed upon you during the early moments of your arrival, then your brilliance overpowered me, and I shielded my eyes from your blinding glory. When the moment of your total beauty opened, I instinctually tore off my cardboard rimmed glasses and wept. Your sudden darkness silenced the chirping birds that returned to their trees to roost. I wept as I watched horses return to their barn for shelter from the premature night you induced. The warm summer morning turned frigid. Shadows of ancient trees heralded your grand entrance. Crickets and frogs conducted their nightly serenade. Golden flames circled the darkened sun like a shimmering wedding ring. The commanding sun, accustomed to ruling the celestial stage; faded into the background, while the moon warmed up your audience.
You required my eyes to look up to heaven where you dwell. You consumed my soul with your glory. You multiplied my mindfulness of the creation of worlds; and their Creator. Light, darkness, animals, and our earth halted their daily rhythm, while you seized their prehistoric dance. I was forced to replace the cardboard glasses and shielded my eyes again as you performed your encore. Then you softly ushered in our brilliant sun and left as graciously as you arrived. A second dawn began. Birds woke up and began their morning songs and returned to the sky. Horses wandered from the barn to their pasture. Frogs and crickets silenced their melodies. A new day began all over again, only it was the same day.
Thank you for stopping my life then reviving it. Thank you for directing my attention upward, to orbiting planets and stars; and heavenward to the Creator, Jesus Christ. You gifted me with a fresh insight of love, and deeper appreciation for the details of the universe. I continued to remember you each day that followed.
With love, your greatest admirer,
Laura Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment